Coaching ‘Godzilla’ and Other Challenging People is a favorite for those in leadership positions.
Leaders are known for being decisive, results-focused and action-oriented. But too often, they have limited time for lengthy discussions which could inspire others to better performance. It’s especially challenging when those who need the most help are described as difficult of Godzilla-like. Wouldn’t it be great if there was a simple, straightforward coaching model to guide conversations and ensure constructive outcomes, no matter how demanding the individual?
Well there is! Laura’s CARLA Concept™ Coaching Model provides a 5-step framework for focused interpersonal communication. In a few simple steps, both the leader-coach and coachee can engage in a structured, yet flexible process that is respectful and thorough. Small steps, strategically planned and consistently taken will leave both parties feeling more clear, calm, confident and accountable.
Workshop participants will explore each step of The CARLA Concept Coaching Model then experiment with humorous, non-work related challenges to reinforce learning in a fun-no-threat environment. This session is tool-based, highly interactive and customized to address specific scenarios leaders face with teams, customers, partners and those we lovingly call “Godzilla.”
By the end of this program, participants will have learned how to:
- Identify the “soft” and “hard cost” value of coaching as a leadership skill
- Understand 10 reasons why people struggle with coaching and being coached
- Learn which of the four coaching styles you possess and prefer
- Make small shifts in perspective make successful coaching more constructive
- Analyze the CARLA Concept™ Coaching Model’s five simple steps
- Use “provocative Questions” to get more engagement
- Practice newfound coaching skills in small group and one-on-one settings
- Set a “Horror Floor” to identify if or when you take action
- Define 7 types of difficult people and the one that’s most challenging for you
- Use Pareto’s Principle to put toxic behaviors in perspective
- Apply effective communication using the 4-F Model
- Measure 5 incremental success steps to motivate yourself and others
Program Length: 90 minutes to 2 hours
Longer Option: 3+ hour workshop
If you’d like to discuss this program for your next event, please contact Laura.
A few Testimonials from Junior Achievement’s National Leadership Conference
“Laura’s humor paired with her step-by-step toolkit made this workshop topnotch. I loved her real-world applications and how she connected everything to a personal example or story. I am glad I elected to attend THIS workshop!” —Ashley Adamson
“Laura’s session helped me not only gain tools to communicate with the ‘Godzillas’ in my world, but see that I’m not alone.” —Tammy Bixby
“Go for ‘No’ BLEW my mind!” —S.S.
“I really enjoyed this session and feel it will seamlessly translate back to my office and be easily applicable. She weaved in humor and kept it fun! Loved it! —Anonymous